I really don’t know what the “point” of my blog is. I want to make y’all laugh and show y’all that life is INSANE and that’s ok! Embrace the crazy and make it joyful as often as you can. I am going to start trying to broaden my blog post topics though, not just anecdotes and opinion pieces… if y’all are reading my blog then I guess you are at least a little bit interested in me- what I like, how I live, etc. So I am going to try to write about things that interest me and things that I am passionate about, plus my everyday life.
Cruelty-free/ethical beauty products is something that I have been interested in for years, but for a long time your options were castile soap and homemade makeup since it was so difficult to find out which brands were ethically made. One of the trickiest parts is there are parent companies that own smaller companies who claim to be cruelty-free, but if the parent company tests on animals then the smaller company isn’t technically cruelty-free.
The first truly comprehensive list that I found was on Cruelty-Free Kitty, be sure to check this website out. The blogs are very informative and well-researched, plus there’s now a search bar where you can type in a brand name and find out whether it is cruelty-free or not. My Beauty Bunny is also informative, not just about makeup but hair, clothes, sustainable clothing, health, and much more. Ethical Elephant is another awesome place to get information about cruelty-free + vegan products! They have lists of cruelty-free products that are available at specific stores as well as a main list of cruelty-free and vegan products.
I was thinking about giving y’all a list of my favorite products from some cruelty-free companies, but that seems a little intense… and long… and possibly excruciating (I’ll just put that here lol) So I am just going to share what I have in my makeup bag and on my bathroom counter right now… which could also be wildly boring but I’ll try to keep it entertaining.
I spend a normal amount of money on my skincare, haircare, and makeup products… I could be wrong, but I think most of the stuff I have here is reasonable. There are a few splurges, but I tried travel/trial size of most of the more expensive products before getting the big versions.
Let’s be honest, I don’t wear makeup every day but I do try to make myself presentable most days! I put stars next to the items that I only use when I’m getting gussied up… which is basically going to church, the doctor’s office, or a MOPs meeting.
Make Up Bag:
- Shea Moisture- 100% Virgin Coconut oil Daily Hydration Overnight Face Oil ($10)- I use this at night, after a shower and before I put on make up. It’s super light weight and not greasy
- *Tarte- Tarteguard 20 Tinted Moisturizer ($36)- I got this in a kit called the Limited-Edition No Shower Happy Hour Athleisure Essential SPF for ($34, but on sale for $23 right now). This is great, it gives you a more even base before your blush and powder, but it’s not super thick like foundation.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics- Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter ($8)- gives a nice lift to sleepy eyes! Not heavy, I’m noticing that that’s apparently very important to me.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics doesn’t carry my blush anymore, it was a cream that came in a tube. They do carry two kinds of cream blush: Monochromatic Multi-Stick ($4) and Beautifully Bare Cheeky Glow ($4) and I plan to try one or both of them after I run out of my current blush.
- NYX- HD Photogenic Concealer Wand ($5)- I pretty much like everything that NYX creates.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics- Baked Highlighter ($4)- I like the shade Moonlight Pearls, I use this on my cheekbones.
- Tarte- Gleam Team Highlighter ($28)- this has both liquid and cream highlighter, it’s more of a gold color compared to the pressed powder highlighter. Kinda switch between this one and the baked highlighter, no real reason… just what I like that day. This is pricey, but it came in the Busy Girl Essentials Intro Set ($32) which also came in the most amazing mermaid-esque sequined cosmetic bag.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics- Bronzer ($4)- I use this around the edges of my face and beneath my cheekbones and on either sides of my nose… it’s my version of contouring.
- Hard Candy- Eyes The Limit Long Wearing Eyeshadow Primer ($6.50)- Mine is the beige/tan color they call Shimmer. I literally use this as my eyeshadow, not just as a primer. No creasing or melting.
- *NYX- Eyebrow Push-Up Bra ($18)- this is a great eyebrow pencil and takes very little skill to use. I don’t use it everyday, just when I dress up a little more.
- Tarte- Busy Gal Brows Tinted Brow Gel ($18)- this is fast and easy, helps fill out your brows without having to stress about making yourself look surprised or scared or uneven.
- *e.l.f. Cosmetics- Cream Eyeliner ($3)- I use Coffee and it is really easy to use, takes a little while to get it right but it’s not too dark so you can keep adding more till you get it right, way less stressful than the black liquid eyeliner I use sometimes.
- Tarte- Lifted Sweatproof Mascara ($23)- this is my every day mascara. This is the first brown mascara I have ever used but I absolutely adore it. Literally wear it almost every single day. It gives definition but you don’t end up with smears if you forget it’s there by the end of the day.
- *Tarte- Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara ($12)- this is the travel size/trial of the mascara and I LOVE this mascara. Doesn’t get clumpy, the brush is a good size and not huge like so many of the mascaras I have tried. Here is the full size mascara for $23 (waterproof also available)
- NYX- HD Photogenic Studio Finishing Powder ($5)- This is one of my favorite things! It kind of seals the makeup on my face, keeps it from fading/wiping off or even sweating off (thanks hormones).
- *Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint ($20)- I use the shade Bestie. I literally never wear lipstick anymore, I did when I was younger, but now I always feel like I’m trying to be fancier than I am! This stuff gives me color but isn’t too dramatic, plus is is long-lasting without being that insane 24-hour lip stain. I either put Quench Lip Rescue ($19) in Nude on top or just plain chapstick.
- Tarte- Deep Dive Cleaning Gel ($25)- This isn’t crazy expensive, but it’s not cheap either. That being said, this cleanser is magical. It smells heavenly, doesn’t dry my face out but still gets it totally clean! I have gotten the travel size ($12) but you can also get it in a set which is how I got my first bottle of it. It is in the Tarte’s A-team Skincare Set I mention below.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics- Eye Refresh Roller ($3)- Great for when you wake up a little puffy in the morning
- Tarte- Brighter Days Highlighting Moisturizer ($32)- I tried the travel size ($12) of this one first, and I’m actually still using that size! I don’t usually put this on before my makeup, I put it on after the shower or if I was my face midday. It gives you a little sparkle.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics- Nourishing Night Cream ($12)- not heavy at all, a little goes a long way and it smells really light and fresh. I’ll use this till I finish it, but I prefer the Tarte Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost Moisturizer.
- Tarte- Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost Moisturizer ($39)- this is NOT cheap, I know that. However, I think that it’s the best night cream ever! They have travel sizes of several of the ‘Rainforest of the Sea’ line of products which is how I fell in love with the expensive potion. The one that I got it in was Tarte’s A-team Skincare Set ($29) but it also comes in several over sets.
- Tarte- Deluxe Maracujá C-brighter Eye Treatment ($38)- This is another one that I got in travel size first, it came in the Limited-Edition Wide Awake Eye Set ($12) and I really like it. I will be purchasing the regular size when I run out. A tiny bit goes a long way so it lasts forever!
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner ($12)- I use this after I shave or when the eczema I have on my face and scalp flares up. It doesn’t sting and doesn’t smell.
- NYX- Stripped Off Micellar Water ($7)- I use this as a makeup remover, especially eye makeup. It doesn’t burn my eyes or leave a weird oily film on my skin that I’ve found some other makeup removers leave.
- Burt’s Bees- Blemish Stick (2 for $20)- This lasts FOREVER, I think I have purchased three or four since I discovered it like five or six years ago. It’s easy to use and I don’t find it too drying for my skin.
Do any of y’all have a favorite cruelty-free brand or product in particular? I would love to hear what you have tried and liked so I can give it a try as well. Also, if this was a terrible miscalculation of your interest in me please let me know so I don’t continue doing these sort of posts!!
As always, I have no idea what I am doing…
Full disclosure- if you click on some of the links in this post and buy a product I may earn a little money from the purchases, but it won’t ever cost you anything extra!